Artists all over dream of making a living off their work, but actually earning a livable income off one’s art is relatively rare. That said, it’s far from impossible, and there’s plenty you can do to reach this goal if it’s what you want.
The Temple Terrace Arts Council shares these resources to help you create the art career of your dreams.
Start a Graphic Design Business
This is a great way to flex your creative muscles while generating income.
- Graphic design is a great field for people who are interested in a freelance career.
- Consider the necessary steps required to actually launch a business. If you don’t know how to form an LLC, create Articles of Organization, or apply for an EIN, you can work with an online formation company to help you.
- Take a look at this article on how to build a portfolio that gets clients.
Look Into Artistic Careers
Art expands into many different careers. Here are a few worth considering:
- Becoming a book illustrator can be a great way to hone a new skill and tap into your creativity.
- Art therapy is a fantastic way to use your skills to help others.
- Your talents can extend to many crafts, from wood and metalworking to creating floral arrangements.
- If you have industry knowledge, consider becoming an art curator for a gallery.
Sell and Market Your Art
Finding buyers for your work can be challenging, but it’s deeply rewarding.
- Create an online shop and use social media to build a digital following.
- Many local shops and restaurants offer wall space to artists for a portion of the sale’s profit.
- Get involved in your area’s art scene in order to make the connections you’ll need to really take off.
- If you need to create banners for your social media pages or website, use a free online banner maker to put together some great artwork.
The path toward earning a full living off your art may not be simple, but it’s well worth it. We hope these resources help you come up with a plan to reach your goals: You deserve to discover your full potential.
Photo Credit: Pexels